Sunday 11 September 2011

Sunday 11th September: Homeward Bound

Sunday morning it was time to pack up and head off home. Of course I stopped in at Hayle briefly but there was nothing of particular note and my journey back home was uneventful. Just as I got back into Oxford I stopped off at Farmoor for a quick wander round to stretch my legs after the long car journey and to have a quick scour through the wagtails on the off chance the citrine had returned but of course there was no sign of it. The white-winged black tern, a confiding little stint and a black-necked grebe were all still on show which were nice to see.

Looking back, despite my initial reservations I'd enjoyed some good birding down in Cornwall. Highlights had included three pectoral sandpipers, a Baird's sandpiper, a buff-breasted sandpiper, a couple of great shearwaters, a Leach's petrel and a black kite. It never ceases to amaze me just how many Nearctic waders they get down in Cornwall. Whilst I was there there were 7 pectoral sandpipers, 3 buff-breasted sandpipers and 1 Baird's sandpiper and since I've come back there have also been greater and lesser yellowlegs, semipalmated sandpiper and I've lost count of the buff-breasts now, it's quite remarkable. Oxon on the other hand has had a good autumn so far with a single pec. sand and is still awaiting its first buff-breast and Baird's. Anyway, I can't wait to get back down to Cornwall and I feel that there will be more decorating required in the next few weeks.


My favourite view at Pendeen, looking rather stormy and misty

No comments:

Post a Comment