Sunday 8 April 2018

Thursday 5th April: Pendeen & Geevor

We awoke to a dry but windy morning at Pendeen. My VLW and I put the world to rights over our cups of tea in bed first thing, gradually being joined by our various children. Then it was time to crack on with our repsective chores. Whilst my VLW got on with the DIY I fired up her laptop and got on with the business of sorting out various client issues. I did go out on a check around Pendeen mid morning. Down by the lighthouse I managed to spot a Merlin, making a sortie out over the water a bit before returning (empty taloned from what I could tell). Down in the valley a couple of Chiffchaff, fresh in from their sea crossing I imagined, were calling away as they worked their way up the valley. News came up on RBA of an Alpine Swift first thing over the Lizard but as it was a good hour away and I was en famille and as I'd already seen an Alpine Swift in Cornwall, I decided not to upset the family equilibirum by going to see it. So it was back to work at the laptop instead.

Common Dog Violets in the the valley by the stream

After lunch we decided to head out for a walk of some kind. We did discuss going up the hill behind Pendeen, something that amazingly we've never yet done, but in the strong wind we decided to hug the north coastline in the hope of it beind more sheltered from the prevailing southerly. So in the end it was our usual walk over to Geevor for tea. I had hoped for a Wheatear there (it's rare that I don't see one at this site) but in the windy conditions I didn't see anything at all. After tea, we headed back to the cottage via the centre of Pendeen, stopping in at the stores for a few bits and bobs. On the way back down the hill I spotted my first Swallow of the year hawking over the Manor Farm roadside pond. Then it was back to the cottage to settle in for the evening.

In the evening this migrant Dark Sword Grass was tapping at the window to be let in. No doubt that it was assisted in it's crossing by the strong southerly winds

No comments:

Post a Comment